Shine Cricket Academy offers an innovative and fun based coaching programme for those cricketers who wish to develop their skills and knowledge in the UK's most popular summer sport. Windball cricket is the perfect middle ground between those players who have experience of the soft ball game and are looking to progress on to hard ball. The day long activity uses the indoor facilities at the Shine Community Sports Hall and provides an opportunity for children to enjoy different formats of cricket in a supportive environment led by Shine's team of qualified, experienced coaches.
The Windball Workshop will allow the children to develop their bowling due to the seam that is on the ball, which will encourage swing and seam bowling. Catching becomes more difficult with a windball so the children will focus lots of their attention towards fielding with their defensive and attacking batting game will develop due to the heavier ball.
Specific skills that the children will work on include:
- Away swing bowling
- Off spin bowling
- Diving catches
- Ground fielding
- 'Coming down the track' whilst batting
- Judging the moving ball early in an innings
- Footwear and clothing that are appropriate for the chosen activity.
- Packed lunch (excluding nut products)
- Water bottle - Available to buy from The Shine Shop
- Children are welcome to bring their own bat but please ensure you remember to take it with you at the end of the day!
This programme is based around improving skills, technique and knowledge of the basics of cricket with the emphasis in learning through enjoyment and building confidence in a sporting environment. Each session will combine various relevant but fun based skills and techniques. The daily schedule may include:-
- Basics of batting:- Correct batting stance, running between the wickets, holding the bat correctly, good balance and a range of basic shots.
- Basics of bowling:- How to hold the ball, different types of bowling actions and the delivery stride.
- Basics of fielding:- Introduction to catching, fielding, throwing and field placings.
- Introduction to match play:- Soft ball matches using various junior rules formats.
- Please note that places are limited and bookings are made on a first come/first served basis each term.
- Shine’s professional coaching team are qualified, DBS checked and fully insured.
- Your child/children must be signed out at the end of every day.
- Shine Holiday Club's presentation ceremony takes place from 15:50-16:00 every day. A 'Star of the Day' award will presented, in each different holiday club activity, to a child or children who has excelled during the day.
Shine's extended hours service is called 'Working Day Option'. The service allows working parents/carers the option of an early arrival time from 08.00 and/or a late departure time before 18.00. Children attending the extended hours will be supervised by Shine staff and offered a variety of free play outdoor and indoor activities. The cost and time details are as follows:
Shine recommends its customers consider environmentally friendly modes of transport, such as cycling, public transport and walking – when customers are travelling to/from a Shine activity. To encourage a healthy lifestyle, Shine is committed to ensuring that each activity location provides a covered bike shed where children and adults can safely store their bicycles on arrival. For customers choosing public transport, please click on the 'bus' icon below to find further details on local bus routes.
Can't find what you're looking for?
Take a look at our FAQ or get in touch with any questions